Sinus Infection And Symptoms
Acute suppuration of the sinuses often arises from a runny nose (rhinitis), when by swelling of the mucous membranes or anatomical characteristics of the secretion drainage from the obstructed sinuses. Most are the maxillary sinuses, the ethmoid and frontal sinuses rarely, very rarely affected the sphenoid sinus. An involvement of all sinuses is called Pan-sinusitis. The disease is usually accompanied by fever, headache and general malaise. One in seven German is once per year affected by sinusitis. Cause is only in 10-20% of cases a bacterial infection. Most viruses are the cause, other causes such as allergies are also possible. speaks for a bacterial sinusitis: symptom duration> 7 days, unilateral facial pain unilateral purulent nasal discharge. A bilateral symptoms speaks against more for a viral cause. Acute viral sinusitis can be spread by droplet infection.
As chronic sinusitis is a more than 2-3 months (depending on source) Permanent sinusitis. It is usually produced from a non-healed acute or subacute sinusitis, maxillary sinuses and ethmoid cells are usually affected. Another form is the course of recurrent acute sinusitis. Symptoms include prolonged loss of smell (anosmia), chronic, usually watery runny nose (rhinorrhea), river discharge into the throat (post nasal drip) and continuous, dull or pressure over the sinuses behind the eyes. Often also the growth of inflammatory polyps in the sinuses is. For the treatment of corticosteroid preparations are used as a nasal spray or in tablet form. Additional therapeutic approaches exist in the long-term administration of antibiotics, nasal irrigation, or – in case of chronic sinusitis with polyps – the local application of anti-fungal agents.
According to current optimal medical treatment is as effective as surgery. Therefore, this is only required if the patient undergoes medical treatment by the insufficient relief.
An operation will improve in 80% of cases the condition, in 10% of cases there is the recurrence of the disease. These operations are now running regular basis from within the nose, cuts on the face (transfacial access) is reserved for individual cases. Patients with extensive frontal sinus inflammation have a worse prognosis and a worse risk profile. Risks of sinus surgery are due to the proximity to the eyes and brain injury in the training of the eye socket with double vision, the vision loss, the outflow of cerebrospinal fluid, brain inflammation and bleeding in the brain. These serious complications are now in less than 1% of cases.
An polypoid sinusitis is especially common with the appearance of a bronchial asthma and analgesic intolerance (intolerance) associated. The presence of all three diseases in a patient known as Smatters’ triad. These patients with standard therapy significantly increased tendency to relapse. As newer, supportive therapy is available to the adaptive deactivation. For this purpose we shall, after the appointment by the doctor permanently acetylsalicylic acid (ASA / aspirin), and can thus contribute successfully towards formation of polyps. A restructuring of the paranasal sinuses in patients with asthma leads to these to an average of 5 mg reduced intake of cortisone to control the asthma.
As a result of chronic sinusitis can occur diseases of the lung (Sinus-Bronchial syndrome). If chronic sinusitis does not heal or recur despite treatment, should also be clarified whether there is a cystic fibrosis or whether any previously undetected infections of the tooth roots radiate into the maxillary sinuses (panoramic X-ray!).
Left maxillary sinusitis (lack of transparency indicates fluid or edematous mucosal swelling)
* Ethmoid sinusitis, an inflammation of the ethmoidal cells
* Frontal sinusitis, an inflammation of the sinuses
* Maxillary sinusitis, an inflammation of the sinuses
* Sphenoid sinusitis, inflammation of sphenoid
* Pan-sinusitis, concomitant inflammation of all sinuses
By simple endoscopic examination of the nasal swab fluid (nasal secretions) and targeted questioning in the case of sinusitis quite clear symptoms, the doctor can often make the diagnosis of sinusitis. (This rather unique symptoms can indeed, must appear but not necessarily. Chronic sinusitis / Pan-sinusitis can not may often cause no obvious symptoms.) In order to clarify to imaging techniques (sonography), are computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI used) . X-rays and ultrasound are opposed regarding sinusitis quite unreliable. Ultrasound is only for process control and an acute episode valuable. In general fatigue, the absence of any other symptoms can be used together with the results of x-ray of the sinuses easily lead to a premature exclusion of sinusitis.
* Are common in acute sinusitis headache accompanied by a feeling of pressure or nagging pain in the anterior head area. These pains are worse, once you get to the front tends bends down with the upper body or solid occurs. Depending on the affected sinuses varies the position of the complaints. Thus, throbbing pain over the forehead, cheek areas (possibly accompanied by a toothache), occur less often behind the eyes or in the back of the field. For localization, the patient with the flat hand on the back beat, the pulse causes a dull, stabbing pain in the fluid-filled cavities.
* Often simultaneously rhinitis (runny nose) with purulent nasal discharge modified
* For serious infections include fever, fatigue and blurred vision but also a strong cough, which interfere with outgoing mucus in the airways especially the night can, and for long-lasting cough, the chest muscles can be painful, and undermines
* Visible sometimes painful swelling
* Increased nasal bleeding should of rare malignant neoplasms in the area are reminiscent of the paranasal sinuses.